Colorado has so much to offer from world renowned ski resorts to the most breath taking hikes. It is an incredible spot for a vacation, but we of all people know how costly a Colorado vacation can be. Use these travel hacks and suggestions, so your next Colorado vacation doesn’t break the bank.
Do Not Travel During Peak Season
Adventures can change in price during peak season and it may be more difficult to get the exact trip you want when visitors flock to Colorado. July, especially near the 4th, is a very busy time for summer adventures so prices may increase. In the winter, ski prices increase a lot during the holiday season as well. Not only will your adventure be cheaper during slower times, but you will also save on the following:
- Shuttle Prices
- More deals on all activities
Mix in Camping or Overnight Excursions to Lower Lodging Costs
Skip out on the hotel prices and eating out and book an overnight rafting trip. Not only is this the best way to enhance your vacation and get an authentic Colorado experience, but it will also save you money on your hotel, food, gear, and more.
Here are some other ways to save money during your Colorado Adventure.
- There are many spots in the national forest that you can camp for free – Visit freecampsites.net
- Choose an all inclusive overnight trip
- When lodging during non-peak season your hotel will be cheaper
- If you are driving, there are plenty of convenient and beautiful car camping spots
Utilize the Free Bus and Transportation Systems
While you are hanging out around town, we highly recommend using the free bus systems in many of the mountain towns in Colorado. You will save money on parking, gas, and rentals.
The following recommendations will make your Colorado Adventure smooth and affordable.
- Almost all mountain towns have free or very affordable transportation
- Find a free lot to leave your car if you are traveling with one
- Before booking your lodge, make sure there is a bus stop conveniently located- this will save you a lot of money
Plenty of Free and Cheap Activities
Check out these adventures that your can do for free or at a very low cost.
- Go on a world class hike for free- Not only will this get your heart pumping, but you will get to take in the most wonderful views. We recommend packing a lunch and enjoying a mountain top picnic for an unforgettable experience.
- National Wildlife Refugees – Colorado has 7 National Wildlife Refugees, so no matter where yo are staying you should be able to enjoy one of these unique ecosystems for free.
- Many of the towns have free festivals, concerts, and events through out the year. When you determine where you are staying look into their free events and plan around those.
- Visiting in the winter? Look into free cross country skiing trails or take a back country trip opposed to paying resort prices. We only recommend this if you have avalanche training and feel confident and prepared to tackle the untamed mountains.
- Free Tasting Rooms- Whether you are looking for coffee, olive oil, beer, wine or whiskey, a lot of the mountain towns have free tastings often that make for a fun event with friends or family.
- Mountain Biking – Enjoy the endless trails around Colorado on bike and get a thrill like none other at little to no cost. Some Air B&B’s will offer a free mountain bike with your rental, so this is definitely something we recommend looking into before finalizing the booking.
- Enjoying the historic towns by strolling through and checking out shops, views, and free museums is a great way to spend the day!
You didn’t come all this way to not experience some of the best thrills in Colorado.
Adventures can get expensive, but these tips will help you save money when booking an unforgettable experience.
- Have no shame and ask those adventure companies for a deal. If you are traveling with a group or traveling during a non peak times, then you are very likely to get a discount on your adventure. Whether you want to raft, zipline, camp or all of the above, you can save a lot of money when just asking for a discount.
- Book a package- All inclusive overnight trips are an industry secret that end up costing you much less for an authentic experience. You can get a rafting trip in, as well as an aerial adventure like ziplining and via ferrata and camping with all meals included for a great price. Think about all the money you will save when you don’t have to purchase all of these things individually.
- Arrive prepared- make sure you have everything you need, so you don’t have to buy last minute shoes or gear because you brought the wrong ones. Double check what is provided, so you don’t pay an inflated price when you are about to hit the road.
Dining and Nightlife
One of the best parts of a Colorado vacation is getting outside, unplugging, getting the heart rate going and enjoying the incredible scenery. The best part about this, is it leaves us exhausted by the end of the day, so we don’t always stay up late spending money at the bars.
However, it is vacation, so if you want to hit the town, utilize these tips to make it most affordable!
- Most lodging in the mountains have a kitchen or a kitchenette, so we highly recommend cooking some of those dinners and utilizing the kitchen to prepare on the go lunches. There is nothing better then a homemade sandwich or wrap half way through that hike or biking adventure.
- If you want to hit the town we highly recommend dining during happy hour. You will get incredible deals, enjoy the atmosphere, and get to try some of the best restaurants without paying what it usually costs.
- Visit the local tourism office and see if they have any coupons or deal cards for local restaurants. I have gotten lucky enough to get 2 for 1 entrees at some of the fanciest restaurants.
- If it is going to be a late night in town, again look for late night happy hours or find the “locals bar” for more reasonably priced drinks throughout the night.
Whether you are visiting Denver, Breckenridge, Telluride or another incredible town in Colorado, this guide will allow you to have the best vacation without breaking the bank. Colorado is one of the best places to visit in order to relax, rejuvenate, explore, and make incredible memories and every one deserves to experience all it has to offer no matter how much you want to spend.