Colorado River Whitewater Rafting
Exciting River Rafting on the Mighty Colorado River!
The Colorado River is a premier whitewater rafting destination and one of our most popular rafting trips thanks to several sections of exciting and beautiful river that are available throughout the summer. At Arkansas Valley Adventures, we’ve been running the Colorado River for over 14 years and our knowledgeable guides will help you find all the wonder this great river has to offer.
FUN FACT: You get free wetsuits and splash jackets on all AVA-run trips. Ask around: you’ll pay up to $25 for this gear at other companies.
The Upper Colorado River Float rafting trips run at ideal levels from May through September, while August and September offer six weeks of the best Class V whitewater rafting in the country: Gore Canyon. Both trips leave from our Kremmling Outpost. If you are vacationing in Summit County, Steamboat, Vail or Winter Park areas, a day of Colorado River rafting is a great addition to your itinerary. The lower Colorado River near Glenwood Springs—the Shoshone Rapids—generally has a season from late May through the end of September.
While whitewater rafting on the Colorado River is one of our most popular trips, the great state of Colorado offers terrific whitewater rivers throughout the state including:
- Arkansas River: Central CO – the best variety of rafting adventures available!
- Clear Creek: Denver Mountains – trips of all levels in a convenient location!
- Other Rivers: the rest of CO – trips on 5 additional rivers for all ages and abilities from multiple CO locations!
Whatever time of season you decide to go and whatever your ability might be, the Colorado River offers mountain scenery beyond compare. From fun float trips appropriate for all ages to challenging, pulse-pounding waterfalls, the Colorado River has sections for everyone at a variety of rafting prices to fit any budget. Let us show you the excitement and beauty of the state’s namesake river.
Upper Colorado River Rafting Trips
- Whitewater Rafting Season: May thru September
The variety of whitewater on the Colorado River creates two very different Upper Colorado River whitewater rafting trips:
- Upper Colorado Scenic Float Trip – River Rafting Season: May thru September If you’re looking to experience the natural wonder of the Colorado River, this popular float trip offers more mellow terrain for all ages. Float in between the walls of “Little Gore Canyon” where wildlife and scenery abound.
- Inflatable Kayak Trips – River Rafting Season: May thru September – This river adventure lets you command your own inflatable kayak down the Upper Colorado River. No experience necessary: with a bit of guidance, it’s easy to learn to paddle these stable vessels. You’ll get the fun of paddling your own boat and the comfort of having a guide close by in a raft or another kayak. This section of river provides several riffles, wave trains, and small rapids to keep you busy!
- Gore Canyon Rafting Trips – River Rafting Season: late July thru September – Prepare yourself because this one’s for serious paddlers only! Gore Canyon is a class IV and V (I think we should have a blog entry/page dedicated to rapid classes and how to interpret your level of preparedness) full-day whitewater trip in a spectacular stretch of Colorado wilderness. Considered a rite of passage by many in the paddling world, Gore Canyon is a must-do if you want to see the best whitewater Colorado has to offer.
- Overnight Whitewater Rafting Trips on the Upper Colorado. The Upper Colorado Scenic Float trip is also available on two different overnight trips: the 24 Hours on the Upper Colorado and the 3 Day Upper Colorado River Float. These trips are an amazing introduction to multi-day river travel that include stunning scenery, camping, relaxation, delicious meals, lots of time for floating and playing on the river and time in inflatable kayaks or Stand-Up Paddleboards. Our overnight trips include tents, sleeping pads, camp chairs and all camp necessities for meals and cooking. You’ll need to bring your own sleeping bag or rent one from us.
The Upper Colorado trips leave from our office in Kremmling, about 45 minutes north of Silverthorne, about 50 minutes from Steamboat and Winter Park, and 1 hour from Breckenridge. We also offer transportation from Keystone and Breckenridge in Summit County for a full day Colorado Scenic Float Trip.
- Shoshone Rapids : The lower Colorado River near Glenwood Springs offers a trip packed with Class III excitement and the towering redrock walls of Glenwood Canyon. A great family trip for those staying near Glenwood, Eagle or Vail or passing through the state on I-70, Shoshone trips meet just west of Glenwood Springs.
Arkansas Valley Adventures strives to bring awareness and understanding of the surrounding wilderness to our guests. Our enjoyable Colorado river rafting vacations help instill appreciation for the natural environment while offering an adventurous and unique view of the Rocky Mountains. Let us help you create the memory of a lifetime with one of our whitewater river adventures!